Since sharing my (amateur) cooking videos on Fearless Female Traders Instagram stories, my inbox has been showered with love from our FFT ladies and friends. And not because of my photographic genius but because you all want to know how you can be a lady of brunching leisure, at home and without the price tag. I’m certainly no Nigella – although you will probably see me creeping to the fridge in my granny underwear wanting ‘something sweet’ after a super healthy dinner…but I do love a delicious, and cheap meal, especially if it’s one that my incompetent-self can prepare!
Visit our Facebook page for giveaways and weekly tips!
To continue spreading our FFT love in 2018, below are two of my favourite weekend brunch specialties I like to cook at home, each costing less than $5 per serve. That my friends, is a bloody bargain! So pop on your favourite tunes, sit on your balcony or a relaxing corner in your abode and enjoy the brunching life, all while still in your PJs.
(Photo credit: Bayleaf Cafe Facebook, Byron Bay)
XXL Chorizo and Chili Scrambled Eggs (serves 2) – originally from our favourite café in Byron Bay, Bayleaf, we went in search for a replica in Perth but found we were spending over $70 per outing. This is just ridiculous! On our first attempt at home, we fell in love with our new weekend ritual…and also the savings we were making too:
- 1 x Chili
- 1 x Chorizo sausage (most packs come in 2)
- 4 x eggs (you can add more if you’re feeding more than 2)
- 2 x tablespoons milk
- 1 x cup of spinach
- 1 x cup of rocket
- ¼ x cup of olive oil fetta or goats cheese (try finding one that has the olive oil and garlic – gives it a great taste and becomes the dressing of the salad.
- Sourdough (if we’re feeling fancy) or bread of choice (if we CBF)
- Chop up the chorizo sausage into individual pieces and fry off in frying pan (preferably non-stick with no oil) for approx. 2-3 mins until cooked to your liking. Use kitchen roll to pat out extra oils.
- Beat 4 x eggs with dash of milk, salt and pepper to taste and add chopped chili (as small or large as you like). Slowly cook scramble eggs in same frying pan. We like ours nice and fluffy so try and use a folding motion.
- Combine cooked chorizo, spinach, rocket and fetta/goats cheese in a bowl with oil from the cheese.
- Toast bread of choice, add chili scramble and top with chorizo salad mixture. Voila, enjoy!
(Photo credit: Rachael Finch Facebook)
Skinny-Minny Banana Protein Pancakes (serves 2-4, depending on how hungry you are!) – I follow Rachael Finch. She calms me. Reminds me to take a chill pill and look after my mind before I do anything else. This is her recipe, slightly tweaked for my taste and my hubby’s tummy:
- 2 x ripe bananas
- 2 x eggs
- 1 x cup of rolled oats (I used Coles brand, but you can use any brand of choice)
- ½ x cup of water
- ½ x cup of milk (any kind is fine)
- 1 x scoop of vanilla WPI (whey protein isolate, also known as protein powder)
- Peel bananas and mash in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add oats, milk and water. Pre-cook in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add mashed banana, eggs and protein powder to pre-cooked oats. Mix together until you get a deliciously banana-chunky pancake mixture.
- Use ¼ cup to scoop mixture onto low-medium heat fry pan. Pancakes won’t bubble like normal mixture, so use the first pancake as a test for time and texture. Repeat until all the mixture is gone and all your bellies are full!
RELATED: Going Clean and Lean in 2018
If I’m feeling super lazy and cheap but still want a healthy breakfast, I will devour one of my YouFoodz brekkies instead – just as delicious and is portion controlled goodness!
If you have any delicious and healthy weekend brunch ideas, let’s share them with the rest of the FFT family! Don’t forget to subscribe so you can be the first to know about new offers, giveaways and blogs! We’re not the spamming kind (promise), and only send a newsletter when we have something really fabulous to tell you!
Fearless Female Traders